Before your trip
We invite you to fill out the Check Mig form between 72 hours before your trip and up to one hour before your trip.
CheckMig allows domestic and foreign travelers intending to enter or leave Colombia to preload all information related to their trip.
- Streamlines and makes the immigration control interview much faster.
- Facilitates interaction between the immigration officer and the passenger.
- Reduces waiting time in the waiting room.
Getting around the city:
Don’t worry about getting around Cartagena! There are several options available:
- At your arrival: Although apps such as cabify and uber can be used, we recommend that upon arrival, you take authorized cabs from the airport (you will find them at the exit) or request them beforehand at the hotel, their prices are already regulated and the trip to the hotel should be between 7 and 8 dollars.
- If you are going to take a cab on the street, we recommend you to define the fare beforehand with the driver, since many of the public cabs do not have a meter.
- Hotel Shuttle: We encourage you to check with your hotel if they offer this service or have a shuttle from the airport.
- Apps: In Cartagena, you have the option to use apps such as Uber and Cabify. At Hotel Las Américas, we will provide Wi-Fi access so you can make your requests.
- Taxis: We recommend using authorized taxis or arranging one through your hotel.
- Remember that SED 2023 will be held at the Hotel Las Americas convention center and any cab or transport can drop you off there.
Don’t worry if you don’t speak Spanish fluently! In tourist areas and hotels, you will find English-speaking staff. However, learning some basic phrases in Spanish is always helpful for interacting with locals and immersing yourself more in the culture.
Currency and banking services:
The official currency in Colombia is the Colombian peso (COP). We suggest exchanging your currency at authorized banks or exchange offices, avoiding street vendors to prevent any inconveniences. Additionally, you will find ATMs throughout the city for easy cash withdrawal.
In Cartagena, the standard voltage is 110-120 V, with a frequency of 60 Hz. If your electronic devices operate on a different voltage, make sure to bring a plug adapter to avoid any damage when connecting them.
The average temperatures range from 28 to 32 °C (82-90 °F) throughout the year. The humidity can be high, so make sure to bring lightweight clothing, sunscreen, and stay well-hydrated.
- Before traveling, we recommend consulting your doctor to verify if you need any specific vaccines.
- Drink bottled water. Do not drink tap water
- Use insect repellent to protect yourself from mosquitoes.
- If you take medication, make sure to bring them with you and have copies of your prescriptions.
Cartagena is a city full of charm and culture. Here are some highlights you shouldn’t miss:
- Historic Center: Declared a UNESCO World Heritage site, this place will surprise you with its beautiful squares, cobblestone streets, and colonial architecture.
- Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas: A historic fortress that offers a panoramic view of the city and the Caribbean Sea.
- Islas del Rosario: An archipelago near Cartagena, known for its white sandy beaches and crystal-clear waters.
- Playa de Bocagrande: One of the most popular and bustling beaches in the city.
In addition, at Hotel Las Américas, where the conference will take place, there will be ambulances available in case of emergencies, complying with regulations and providing a safe environment for all attendees.